Pakistan Association of New Zealand (PANZ) appreciates and welcome the new programme made by the NZ government to assist foreign nationals in serious hardship. The Assistance for Foreign Nationals impacted by COVID-19 Programme will provide temporary, in-kind assistance to eligible people to help meet basic needs such as food and accommodation until they find means of supporting themselves in New Zealand or are able to return home.
Under the new Programme, assistance may be provided for:
- food and household goods required to meet urgent and immediate needs
- blankets, hot water bottles and basic clothing to meet urgent and immediate needs
- over-the-counter medication to meet urgent and immediate needs
- accommodation (including rent, boarding costs and rent arrears)
- utilities (electricity, gas). Excludes internet and broadband connection and plans
- if required, pre-paid phone cards to enable emergency communication and communication with consulate/embassy
- petrol/travel (limited to travel required to shift to new location for employment purposes or to airport to leave New Zealand).
The Programme is worth $37.6 million and will run for three months and one can access this support through Civil Defence and Emergency Management (CDEM) Group from the 1st of July 2020.
Please note no cash payments will be offered, and assistance is transitional and time-limited
Shukria / Ngā mihi